Imagine yourself in a place where there is lush vegetation, brightly colored and delicate flowers that blend with the sound of water. Butterflies flutter back and forth as if trying to decide which flower they like best.
Why imagine – Visit the Panhandle Butterfly House
What You Will See
- Enter the reception area and view a valuable collection of over 300 butterfly specimens collected and catalogued from around the world.
- Visit the Monarch Market to select fun and interesting butterfly gifts including t-shirts, puzzles, books, CDs, bookmarks, stickers and more.
- In the butterfly habitat, our vivarium, encounter native butterflies up close as they feed on native and Florida-Friendly nectar plants and witness hungry caterpillars munching on their favorite host plants. All stages of the butterfly life cycle may be observed.
- Enjoy the indoor and outdoor gardens and discover design ideas and plant selections for your own landscape.
- Trained Docents are always available to answer questions and provide you with a personalized and engaging experience. They can provide information about the best plants to attract butterflies in Northwest Florida and will help you identify butterflies in the exhibit.
- Click here to see helpful information for your visit.
Dates and Times
- Open seasonally from May through August. This reflects the environmental conditions in the Florida Panhandle.
- Open Thursday through Saturday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. Plan at least 30 minutes to enjoy the exhibit.
- Monarch Madness, a special event to celebrate the migration of the Monarch butterflies, is scheduled annually in October.
Take a Tour
- Butterfly tours are educational programs developed and tailored to the specific visiting group. The focus is on education of the butterfly life cycle, anatomy, and a hands-on experience with Florida butterflies.
- Adult group tours may include garden clubs, senior centers, interest-based clubs, and/or family groups.
- Youth group tours may be students from public schools, home-school programs, and/or daycare centers. School group tours are interrelated with science curriculum and taught at an appropriate educational level.
Schedule a Tour
- All tours are scheduled Monday through Wednesday and must be scheduled 10 days in advance.
- A 10 person minimum is required.
- Children must be accompanied by an adequate number of adults.
- A minimum donations of $2.00 per person is suggested for admission.
- Click to schedule a tour by sending an email.